Monday, November 2, 2009

Wedding Commissions




One of the most satisfying kinds of commissions are those intended for wedding presents. In the past two months I have done two and I thought I would share them.
For September Wedding Memories the client asked me to focus on the bride's bouquet flying through the water. I also tried to incorporate the Minister's impromptu cairn alter and the rubber boots the bride wore into the water. I was lucky because I had just the right color green for the brilliant trees in my stash. As I did for the VT water in the next quilt, I used my wrinkle technique to depict ripples and reflections. I quilted the groom's words, "Stepping into this ole river we call life together" into the river bank. It was a fun quilt and I hope the happy couple hangs it for years to come.
The second is a quilt depicting one of the wedding couple's favorite places, Lake Willoughby, VT. I have visited the family cabin throughout my childhood so I had a good idea of what it looks like, but photos from one of the grooms helped me capture the shape of the mountains. I hope this quilt remains in their family and serves as a wonderful reminder of a quiet peaceful place. My only regret is that I forgot to hide their dog in the stitching!

No comments: